El Indio Restaurant / San Diego, CA
Founded as a Tortilla Factory in 1940 where Ralph Pesqueira Sr. rolled out 30 dozen tortillas by hand per day. During WWII, customers from nearby factories began asking for ready to eat lunch items. Ralph Sr. responded by making the “Taquito”, a word he coined meaning “Little Taco”. Between 1945 and 1946, Ralph Sr. used his basement to make the first tortilla machine in San Diego and increased production to more than 30 dozen per hour. The same Sonora style Mexican recipes are still made today and are know around the world as they have provided care packages to our soldiers while fighting in Vietnam and Desert Storm along with two Presidents requesting White House delivery. There is nothing fancy about this place but the food is good and everyone should try the birthplace of the Taquito.